Make a Gift in 3 Easy Steps
Beneficiary Designations Are Easy and Flexible
Not everyone wants to commit to making a gift in their will or estate. Some prefer the increased flexibility that a beneficiary designation provides by using:
- IRAs and retirement plans
- Life insurance policies
- Commercial annuities
It only takes three, simple steps to make this type of gift. Here's how to name Wayne State University as a beneficiary:
- Contact your retirement plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution for a change-of-beneficiary form.
- Decide what percentage (1 to 100) you would like us to receive and name us, along with the percentage you chose, on the beneficiary form.
- Return the completed form to your plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution.
See How It Works
An Example of How It Works
Robert and Carol treasure the financial help they've been able to give their children and WSU over the years. The couple recently updated their will to leave stocks and real estate to their kids. They left WSU a $75,000 IRA to be transferred following their lifetime. Because WSU is tax-exempt, all $75,000 will help support our mission.
If Robert and Carol had left the IRA to their children, approximately $21,000* would have gone to pay federal income taxes-leaving only $54,000 for their family's use. Robert and Carol are happy knowing they are making the most of their hard-earned money thanks to their updated estate plan.
*Based on an assumption of a 28 percent marginal income tax bracket.
Download our FREE guide Beneficiary Designations: The 3 Easiest Ways to Leave Your Legacy.View My Guide
Donor Spotlight Elizabeth Buc
“Although I attended three separate universities, my support goes to Wayne State because of the impact it has had on my career, the relationships with faculty and others that were formed, and the important educational role it will continue to play for future students.”
Donor Spotlight Mildred Kaye
“I have greatly enjoyed meeting the students who receive scholarships from our fund. I recommend that everyone consider creating an endowed scholarship fund!”
Donor Spotlight Marie A. Tront
“Attending Wayne State was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I want to be sure that the intellectual stimulation of an urban university is there for future generations. By naming Wayne State in my trust, I can make a larger gift than I would be able to by check.”
Donor Spotlight Mel Janowitz
“I am a strong believer in charitable gift annuities as a pension supplement. I have two at Wayne. The interest rate is many times what I can get elsewhere, and it is only partially taxable. With a CGA to Wayne State, I can arrange for the money to be used to help needy students, support research endeavors, or help fill other needs.”
Donor Spotlight Austin & Daniel Kanter
“Wayne was there for me when I needed it. We wanted to give back. The marvelous letters from the scholarship recipients have brought great pleasure over the years. Harriet would have enjoyed them.”
- Contact Tina R. Daniels at (313) 577-8346 or email@example.com for additional information on beneficiary designations and how they can help support WSU with our mission.
- Talk to your financial or legal advisor to learn which assets will or will not trigger taxable income when paid to a beneficiary.
- If you name WSU in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Wayne State University
Address: 5475 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI 48067
Federal Tax ID Number: 38-6028439